- WR Greg Jennings a Fin Jennings deal is reportedly a 2 year deal worth $8 million
- OC Mike Pouncey signs contract extension Reports say the deal is a 5 year deal worth 44.75 million with 22 million guaranteed
- TE Clay signs with the Bills A 5 year deal worth $38 million with $20 million guaranteed...Fins declined to match
- WR Wallace traded to the Vikings Fins send Wallace and a 7th round pick to Viks for a 5th rounder
Cap hits: details of Mike Wallace contract released
Sportrac has published the details of Mike Wallace’s deal. Here’s the nitty gritty:
5 year $60 million with only an $11 million signing bonus.
The good news: 2013 base salary is a mere $1 mil, meaning his cap hit is way lower than initially projected: a meager $3.2 mil. This means Miami has about $4 mil more to spend in 2013 than previously projected.
The bad news: his 2014 base salary is a whooping $15 mil, for a $17.2 mil cap hit. Wow.
His 2015 base salary drops to $9.85 mil, and in 2016 and 2017 is $11.45 mil (add $2.2 mil in prorated signing bonus to get the cap hit).
Only 2013 and 2014 salaries are guaranteed. An additional $3 mil is guaranteed for injury. Here’s where it gets interesting: the 2015 salary guaranteed on the 5th day of the 2014 league year. Miami is on the hook for the $15 mil in 2014, so they sure aren’t going to cut him, meaning this is a guaranteed 3 year deal.
UPDATE: Ben Volin tweeted that only $3 mil of the 2015 deal is guaranteed in 2014,whichiftruemeans Miami would eat $9.6 mil in dead money if they release him after 2 seasons. Cutting him after 2 years would therefore be possible if he turns out to be a complete flop. Unlikely, but possible.The low signing bonus means Miami can part ways with him after the third year of the deal and have cap savings (much like their deals with Ellerbe and Wheeler).Join us on our message board and share your thoughts at FinNation ForumsJoin us on Twitter at @FinNation
Latest posts by Michael Miller (see all)
- Incognito saga gets more convoluted - November 7, 2013
- Is Jonathan Martin a Hero in “Bullygate”? - November 4, 2013
- Forget the offense. Miami’s fate depends on the defense. - October 11, 2013