- Tanny and Fins BEAT down the Texans QB Tannehill sets an NFL completion record at 25 in a row as the Fins whip the Texans 44-26
- Dan Campbell replaces Philbin TE coach Dan Campbell is named interim head coach after Joe Philbin is let go
- Fins lose preseason game to Panthers 31-30 However, the Dolphin starters were dominate and took a 14-0 lead before they were pulled
- S Delmas lost for season Louis Delmas tore is ACL in practice with the Panthers
Fins Free Agency – Low Hanging Fruit
GM Dennis Hickey fulfilled my top two requirements this off-season when he re-signed CB Brent Grimes and signed LT Branden Albert. Bringing back DT Randy Starks at 2yrs-$12-millionwas a pleasant surprise, and Earl Mitchell could be a steal as the #3 DT.
Unfinished business lies ahead.
It would be in the Dolphins’ best interest to pluck 3 pieces of low-hanging fruit off of the Free Agent tree: RT Tyson Clabo, RB Knowshon Moreno, and FS Chris Clemons.
1) Re-sign OT Tyson Clabo.
GM Dennis Hickey landed Pro Bowl LT Branden Albert, but struck out at RT in a deep class that included Austin Howard, Michael Oher, and Breno Giacomini. Clabo played very well in his final 9 games after being re-inserted into the starting lineup following the Richie Incognito/Jonathan Martin ordeal. He will turn 33 in October, but would bandage up the position in 2014 if he plays like he did in his final 9 games. The key is to get Clabo’s heir apparent in the 2nd-4th rounds ofthe2014 NFL Draft.
Price Tag: 1-year, $2.5mil (with the option to cut him if he does not make 53-man roster)
2) Sign Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno.
Yes, I know – anyone can look good with Peyton Manning, as Moreno did in 2013. But would you believe Knowshon Moreno was 5th in total yards (1586) behind only LeSean McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Matt Forte, and Josh Gordon? There are a lot of reasons to believe Knowshon’s career is on an upswing: he’s a former #12 overall pick, just 26 years old, pass protects very well, and caught 60 passes out of the backfield as Peyton Manning’s safety valve. Although Knowshon doesn’t stand out in one particular area and carries some baggage, he demonstrated enough consistency to be a tandem RB at the right price.
Price Tag: 2-years, $7-million.
3) Re-sign FS Chris Clemons.
Despite quarterbacking one of the NFL’s best secondaries in 2013, FS Chris Clemons seems to be the odd man out in a well-paid Free Agency safety class largely because of his lack of playmaking skills. It would be in the Dolphins’ best interests to re-sign Clemons to compete with Delmas at FS or, at the very least, serve as a quality third safety behind both of them while excelling on Special Teams.
Price Tag: 2-years, $6-mil.
Depth Chart Heading into the 2014 NFL Draft:
QB: Tannehill, Moore, Devlin
RB: Knowshon, Miller, Thomas, Gilislee
WR: Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews
TE: Clay, Egnew, Sims
OL: Albert, Smith, Pouncey, Garner, Clabo, Brenner, Thomas
DE: Wake, Vernon, Jordan, Shelby
DT: Odrick, Starks, Mitchell
LB: Ellerbe, Wheeler, Misi, Jenkins, Trusnik, Freeny
CB: Grimes, Finnegan, Wilson, Taylor, Davis
S: Jones, Delmas, Clemons, D. Jones, M. Thomas
ST: Sturgis, Fields, Denney, Thigpen
Comments and criticisms welcome!
Thanks for reading,
Latest posts by Brian Catanzaro (see all)
- Dolphins 53-man roster odds heading into Panthers game - August 21, 2015
- Dolphins 53-man roster odds - August 8, 2014
- Dolphins Top-50 Draft Board (2nd Round Considerations) - May 8, 2014