- Fins lose preseason game to Panthers 31-30 However, the Dolphin starters were dominate and took a 14-0 lead before they were pulled
- S Delmas lost for season Louis Delmas tore is ACL in practice with the Panthers
- Dolphins lose in preseason to Bears Miami's starters looked great, but the backups dropped to the Bears, 27-10
- Parker's return still uncertain WR Devante Parker is not sure if he will be ready for the season opener
Patience Is Key In the Early Going
Patience is key in the Early Going.
There are three truths we need to get out of the way.
- This team has gone through a tremendous overhaul this offseason
- The Offense almost always looks shoddy early in training camp.
- Tannehill is not where he needs to be just yet.
That’s not to mention the outstanding play of Brent Grimes, and the LB’s.
Mike Sherman, and Kevin Coyle are competing. Coyle sending assorted jailhouse blitzes. The line will adjust, as will Tannehill. To what degree will depend on the talent they hold.
Miami has 5 Pre-season games so there is no cause for alarm at this point. Nobody should be concerned about the team bringing in Jordan slowly either. It’s exactly the wise move. We know his skillset. He needs that shoulder at 100%. No need to push him until he is absolutely ready from a medical standpoint. The fact he is dressing is a good sign for the days to come.
The above mentioned coaches are tinkering with several different sets. What better way to place players into uncomfortable situations to see who can handle the challenges of change?Theextraweekistheperfect time for this. By the end of next week they’ll weed out some of the sets the team is unsuccessful at. This is what training camp is for. No longer is it the relentless physical marathon it was in the Shula days. 12 Minute runs, and two a days are things of the past.Interestingly, Philbin has spent his attention the majority of the time focusing on the JV unit. His rational is he knows what he has with the regulars. This to me is a wise move. If you are unaware, Miami practices on two fields that generally mirror each other. The same plays are called, the same responsibilities exist for the players. Coaching film will do two things, it can be used to mentor the youngsters, as well as see who on the JV unit deserves more reps with the first team. It’s a fluid situation for everyone. The hope is the cream will rise to the top.
It’s only been 3 days. So much can happen in the way of injuries, improvement, and adjustments by the coaching staff. There is no need for anyone to overreact to the offense getting off to a slower start. It’s generally the case year, after year and this year is no different.
On a positive note: Oliver Vernon, Brent Grimes, Daniel Ellerbe, Dan Carpenter, and Clabo have all impressed from the get go. But, again, it’s early.
They’ve got a scrimmage coming up on Monday. Expect a more normal gameplan from all three units, but don’t be shocked if the defense gets the best of it yet again.
Join us on our message board and share your thoughts at FinNation Forums
Join us on Twitter at @FinNation
Latest posts by Michael Fink (see all)
- Draft Thoughts and Grades – 2015 - May 5, 2015
- The Early Cuts are in for the Dolphins – Marino is Back – Final Thoughts - August 27, 2014
- Why Tampa Is More Critical Then Game 3 For The Dolphins - August 14, 2014