- QB Ryan Tannehill signs extension Tannehill signs 6 year $96 mil extension!
- Welcome to Miami Mr. Parker Fins select WR DeVante Parker with the 1st pick of the 2015 draft
- Dion Jordan suspended 2015 season Media reports a third failed drug test, resulting in a year long suspension for Jordan
- WR Greg Jennings a Fin Jennings deal is reportedly a 2 year deal worth $8 million
2013 Miami Dolphins – Projected Starters and Camp Battles
New Look 2013 Miami Dolphins
I am hoping that we are going to see a hybrid defensive scheme in 2013, with multiple looks and personnel combinations. The Dolphins have in my opinion one of the most versatile defensive front 7’s in football. This 2013 defensive roster that Jeff Ireland has assembled can switch between 4-3, 3-4, and nickel variations without a hitch. I expect to see an aggressive blitz heavy defense that gets after the Quarterback.
Our defense will be able to cause confusion at the LOS with Linebackers bringing heat and athletic DEs dropping into a shallow zone on occasion. Opposing Quarterbacks should have issues trusting their pre-snap reads and difficultly locating where the soft spots are in the underneath zone. I am glad to see Chris Clemons and Reshad Jones back protecting the deep middle, they should grow even more in the second year under Kevin Coyle.
Rookie Dion Jordan may split time with Jared Odrick at RE on obvious running situations, as he still needs to bulk up from 248lbs to reduce the liability versus the ground game. Iamstillabitnervous about Brent Grimes and his injury rehabilitation, hopefully we can have him back at 100% by the end of training camp. Rookie Jamar Taylor should walk into a starting job, and Rookie Will Davis can become an instant fan favorite if he can produce early on at the Nickel. With great play and increased pressure from our front 7, who ever ends up in our secondary unit should see a lot of opportunity to capitalize on opposing Quarterbacks mistakes.
Training Camp Positional Battles
- Koa Misi, Philip Wheeler and Olivier Vernon should be competing for snaps in the various Nickel Packages.
- Rookie Corner Will Davis should be competing with Richard Marshall at Nickel Corner.
- John Jerry and Lance Louis should be competing at RG while Rookie Dallas Thomas may need a year to develop.
- Right Tackle is the position with most uncertainty, Rookie Dallas Thomas is still recovering from injury and I am not sure where coach Philbin intends to play him. If Eric Winston isn’t signed it is quite possible to see John Jerry and Dallas Thomas battling for the RT position.
- Jared Odrick should be a very versatile player in 2013, depending on down and distance he should rotate at 2 positions on D-Line, RE and DT.
- Rookie RB Mike Gillislee will battle Daniel Thomas for #2 RB job, and will have a slim outside chance of winning the #1 job from Lamar Miller, if he pulls of a Doug Martin type of Pre-Season.
- Dan Carpenter versus Rookie Caleb Sturgis. Carpenter missed crucial kicks last year and his cap hit for 2013 is $3,012,500, therefore he is more or less out of Miami, unless Sturgis completely melts down in camp.
PROJECTED STARTERS BASE 4-3
PROJECTED STARTERS BASE 3-4
PROJECTED STARTERS NICKEL 3-3-5
PROJECTED STARTERS NICKEL 4-2-5
Join us on our message board and share your thoughts at http://www.finnation.com/Forums/
Join us on Twitter at @FinNation
Latest posts by Max Lukas (see all)
- Miami Dolphins – Signed UDFA WR Terrell Sinkfield - April 30, 2013
- 2013 Miami Dolphins – Projected Starters and Camp Battles - April 28, 2013
- NFL DRAFT DAY 2 – Roller Coaster - April 27, 2013