- Fins outlast Bucs 20-14 It wasn't pretty at times, but the Fins manage a preseason win over the Bucs
- QB Quinn finally a Fin Miami signs QB Brady Quinn and releases Pat Devlin
- Fins lose in the end, 16-10 Miami started strong, but in the end the Falcons win the preseason game
- Reshad Jones suspended 4 games S Reshad Jones is suspended the first four games for violating the NFL’s policy on performance enhancing substances.
Vikes offered more? Maybe…maybe not
Media reports are now surfacing that the Minnesota Vikings offered receiver Mike Wallace significantly more money to wear purple, but that Wallace turned it down to come to South Beach.
This has led some to question Wallace’s ability to add, if not his sanity in general. But there are some things to consider before pulling out a calculator or straight jacket:
- No state income tax
- The weather (vs Minnesota)
- South Beach
- Tannehill vs Ponder
Also, if true, we don’t know the terms of the deal. The Vikes deal could have been heavily backloaded, essentially money that Wallace might never see. Miami’s deal while maybe not as high overall, might have offered more guaranteed money or more money in the first three years of the deal.
Miami gave Wallace $27 mil guaranteed through first 2 years of the contract:
- $11 mil signing bonus
- 2013 salary: $1 mil = $12 million in his pocket in year 1.
- 2014 salary: $15 mil *guaranteed*.
What was the money like from the Vikes in those years? Upfront/guaranteed money is significant because of possibility of injury or ifyougetcut.2015salary: $9.85 mil (Miami can cut him at this point and eat $6.6 mil in dead money, save $3.25 mil on salary cap).If for some reason Miami does cut him, he’s got $27 million inhis pocket and is a FA again to get another signing bonus and a bunch of guaranteed money. Pretty tough contract to beat.
A great if not entirely honest sentiment, but regardless of the motivation it’s great that he’s in Miami.
Join us on our message board and share your thoughts at FinNation Forums
Join us on Twitter at @FinNation
Latest posts by Michael Miller (see all)
- Incognito saga gets more convoluted - November 7, 2013
- Is Jonathan Martin a Hero in “Bullygate”? - November 4, 2013
- Forget the offense. Miami’s fate depends on the defense. - October 11, 2013